The museum is located on the old part of the İzmir-Aydın Railway line, the oldest railway line in Türkiye, near the Çamlık neighborhood. The museum is very close to the famous Ancient City of Ephesus. While the railway line from İzmir to Aydın was reorganized, part of the railway and Çamlık Railway Station were closed for use. The closed station area was used for the museum. The preparation of the museum started in 1991 and was completed in 1997. The original railway line, built in 1866, was used for the museum.
The land, buildings, and locomotive collections are fully owned by TCDD 8 the State Railways of the Republic of Türkiye), but Atilla Mısırlıoğlu has been managing the museum for 99 years. Mısırlıoğlu is the son of a signal officer who used to work at Çamlık Railway Station.