This building was designed and constructed as the Gathering Place of Republican People’s Party by Vedat Tek, the Architecture, in 1923. However, this building was arranged as the Parliament by changing its function when the building of the 1st Grand National Assembly of Turkey and put into service on October 18, 1924. The building was constructed with face stones with two floors on the basement. Coves on the windows, panels on the tile walling doors, wide eaves, hand-carved ornamental wood roofs reflect the characteristics of the 1st National Architecture Movement.
The building of the 2nd Grand National Assembly of Turkey, which has an important place in the Turkish political history, maintained its function for 36 years until May 27, 1960.
In 1961, when the parliament was moved to its newly constructed modern building, this building was allocated to Central Treaty Organization (CENTO). The building which was used as the General Center of Cento between 1961 and 1979 was transferred to the Ministry of Culture at the same year when CENTO was disestablished. It was decided that the front part of the building would be arranged as the Republican Museum, the rear part would be used as the service building of the General Directorate of Ancient Arts and Museums. The museum part was opened to visit on October 30, 1981 as the Republican Museum by being arranged after repairs and restorations.
Our exhibition halls, where personal spouses of our first three Presidents are exhibited, are open to visitors.