It was built in 1794 as a two-storey gendarmerie building and the lower floor was later converted to a prison. Completely burned and became debris during the 1921-1922 Greek occupation, the building was rebuilt on its foundations in two floors after the Turkish War of Independence. Then, the upper floor was used as a courthouse and the lower floor was used as a prison. The building retained its function as a prison until 1995, and then it became the property of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in 1996 to be used as a museum building after the courthouse and the prison were moved to another place. It was opened on April 20, 2007 with the name Bilecik Museum under Söğüt Museum Directorate. It has been Bilecik Museum Directorate since April 7, 2010. . In the archaeological works, neolithic, Hellenic, Bronze, Roman and Roman works belonging to the city of Doğuş and Ottoman designs such as ethnography, sections from the oba and home life, historical ceramics and glass documents are exhibited.