Canakkale Assos Archaeological Site
Assos, located in Behram Village in Ayvacık District of Çanakkale Province, was founded by immigrants from Lesbos (Methymna Settlement on Lesbos Island) in the 7th century B.C, according to ancient writers. It has been determined by recent archaeological studies that the history of the city dates back to the Bronze Age. The ancient city of Assos, which attracts attention today with its magnificent walls that have survived until our time and impressive structures unearthed in archaeological excavations, was included in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage tentative list in May 2017; It is an important center in terms of both history and natural tourism. Assos is a port city, but it is located on a steep cliff about 238 meters above the sea.
The Temple of Athena, located in the Assos Acropolis, is dedicated to the Goddess Athena, known as the protector of the city. The building, whose construction date is 6th century B.C, is the only example of an Archaic-Doric Temple in Anatolian geography. In ancient times, there were 13 columns on the long side of the temple and 6 on the short side. Apart from the roof structure, the entire temple is built of andesite stone. Mythological subjects such as the struggle of Heracles and the Centaurs, and their frieze and methods depicting animal struggles are exhibited in Çanakkale, Istanbul, Louvre, and Boston Archaeological Museums today.
Necropolis Area Except for the southern slopes of Assos overlooking the Aegean Sea, many areas were used as a cemetery as long as the city was inhabited. In front of the city walls, in front of the West Gate, and the East city gates, we can see the cemetery areas along the main streets extending outside the city. Many tombs were found on both sides of this street in the Assos West necropolis, which continues in front of the western gate. Many monumental tombs, sarcophagi, and family tombs are surrounded by a temenos wall on the side of this street, which is called Archaic Street.
Three periods can be mentioned in the excavations of the Ancient City of Assos. In the period 1881-1883 American excavations, the first comprehensive archaeological studies and research in the ancient city of Assos and its surroundings were carried out by the American Archaeological Institute from 1881 to 1883 under the leadership of J.T. Clarke and his assistants F.H. Bacon and R Koldewey. The results of these studies, covering the first impressions of Assos, were published in 1921. The studies and especially publications of the Americans were mainly on architectural structures and building groups, and more attention was drawn to large public buildings. Apart from the structures, excavations were also carried out in the Western Necropolis.
In the 2nd period, in 1981, Assos excavations started again under is chairmanship of Professor Doctor Ümit Serdaroğlu from Istanbul University. The excavations of this period were mainly focused on the Western Necropolis. Apart from this, soundings were dug at different points of the city, in the Temple of Athena on the Acropolis, around it, and in the residential areas on the southern slopes. Restoration works were carried out in the temple.
Excavations of the 3rd Period Since 2006, the excavations carried out by Professor Doctor Nurettin Arslan is his team from Çanakkale ONSEKİZ MART UNIVERSITY continue.
Warning Regarding Museum Visiting Hours:
Our Visiting Hours: Our Visiting Hours for Assos, Troy, Apollon Smintheion Archaeological Sites are Open Every Day of the Week*:
During the Summer Season (April 1 to October 1) 08:30-20:00** Box Office Closing 19:30
During the Winter Season (October 1st to April 1st) 08:30-17:30 ***Clock Office is 17:00."
* Our Museums and Archaeological Sites are closed until 13.00 on the first day of Religious Holidays.
** In case of high demand for visiting the Ancient Site for the summer season, the sunset times are calculated and the closing time is updated periodically as 21.30 by the Governor's Decision and announced separately.
*** Box Office Closing stops issuing tickets half an hour before the closing of the Museum and Ruins by calculating the minimum travel time. (Museum card or museum card application can be used in order to avoid any problems. It is strongly requested to comply with the Exit Time strictly.)