We can see official documents that the museum activities in Çanakkale started in 1911 during the Ottoman Period. Our first museum, established in the Ottoman Period, is today's Istanbul Archeology Museum, followed by museums in Bursa and Sivas. We see that Çanakkale Museum is one of the earliest museology practices and museology initiatives made in the Ottoman lands. According to the document examined in the state archives, an appropriation of 10 thousand kurus requests for the establishment of the Çanakkale Museum Branch. Then, it is mentioned that this budget is provided and the Çanakkale Museum Branch is established. The first museum building was designated as Çanakkale High School, that is, Çanakkale High School, today's Çanakkale Teacher's House. In the following years, in 1932, the collection of historical marble and stone artifacts in the Armenian Church under the name of "Çanakkale Museum Deposit" started in Zafer Square. In 1965, the Museum Directorate was established in the annex building of the church located in the same square. The transfer of a part of the collection of Frank CALVERT, who excavated in many ancient cities of Çanakkale at the end of the 19th century, and brought abroad most of the artifacts, only a few of which remained in Turkey, to the Çanakkale Museum. Also, the third period was between 1932-1938 in Troia. The collection of the Museum begins to form when some of the Troy works of Carl BLEGEN, who excavated, are brought to Çanakkale.
The rich finds unearthed in the Dardanos Tumulus in 1959 became one of the most important discoveries in the history of Çanakkale after Troy. As a result of the important finds unearthed in the Dardanos Tumulus and the necropolis of the ancient city of Tenedos in Bozcaada, the need for a new museum building has emerged. The new museum was opened in 1984 after its construction was completed. The works of the Museum in Victory Square are also moved to the new museum.
However, with the increase in the number of museum works in the following process, the museum and its building, which was opened to visitors in 1984, remained insufficient.
The construction of the Troy Museum, in 2013; was started after the Free Participation, Single Stage, National Architectural Project Competition. The Troy Museum, whose construction was completed in 2018, was opened to visitors in Tevfikiye Village as a unit affiliated with the Çanakkale Museum Directorate.
In the Troy Museum, the life of Troy and its cultures, which left their mark in the Troas Region, which went down in history with Homer's Iliad Epic, and its archeological history are told through the artifacts unearthed from the excavations.
While visiting the museum, visitors follow a story divided into seven titles: Archeology of Troas Region, Bronze Age of Troy, Iliad Epic and Trojan War, Troas and Ilion in Antiquity, Eastern Roman and Ottoman Period, Archeology History, Traces of Troy.
The visit to the museum begins when descending the ramp. In the niches on the walls of the ramp, the different layers of Troy are described with tombstones, large sculptures, stage animations, and large photographs. Archeology, archaeological, and archaeometric dating methods, such as "neolithic, chalcolithic, bronze age, iron age, mound, restoration, conservation", in order to provide an orientation to the visitor before the ongoing exhibition floors in the circulation band, which is the entrance area of the museum, is about Troas and its surroundings. Terms are conveyed through diagrams, illustrations, texts, and interactive methods.
Foreigners/ Other Nationals
Ticket: € 27 (Ticket Price is Valid for Museum Of Troy Entry Too)
MuseumPass Türkiye: € 165 (Valid For 15 Days)
Audio Guidance Service / Audio Guide Headphone: 300 TL
Warning Regarding Museum Visiting Hours:
Our Visiting Hours: The Museum of Troy is Open Every Day of the Week*:
During the Summer Season (Between 1 April and 1 October) 08:30-20:00** Box Office Closing 19:30
During the Winter Season (October to April) 08:30-17:30 *** (Ticket Office is 17:00.)
* Our Museums and Archaeological Sites are closed until 13.00 on the first day of Religious Holidays.
** On the days when there is a 3D Mapping Show for the Summer Season, with special permission from our Ministry, free night museum tours can be made for our visitors and the closing time of the museum can be announced as 24.00 for that day only.
*** Ticket Office Closing stops issuing tickets half an hour before the closing of the Museum and Ruins by calculating the minimum travel time. (Museum card or museum card application can be used in order to avoid any problems. It is strongly requested to comply with the Exit Time exactly.)