Erzurum Atatürk House Museum

4.8 5
Now Close

Erzurum Ataturk’s House Museum

The Ataturk’s House Museum is located in city centre of Erzurum. Its exact date of construction is still unknown however, it is estimated that it was built at the end of 19th century. The museum was used as German Consulate for as little as 9 months between 1915 and 1916. The house was given to Erzurum Governorate as their dwelling rightly after the liberation of Erzurum on the 12th of March 1918. The Governor MahirAkkaya dwelt in there until July 3, 1919. Then, the house was emptied with the leaving of the Governor.

After Mustafa Kemal Ataturk stepped ashore on Samsun, hesettled that house with Huseyin Raufand his friends on July 9, 1919. The house has gained its historical identity and had significant place in Turkish Republic History with the contribution of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and his friends by running their activities in Erzurum Congress for 52 days until 29th of March 1918. Thereafter Mustafa Kemal Ataturk left Erzurum, the house started to be used as the Governor’s dwelling again.

After the proclamation of the Republic, the golden key and the title deed of the house which were made by the Mayor Nazif Bey to a local jeweller from Erzurum, were presented to Ataturk on September 13, 1924 on the behalf of the city when he came to Erzurum.

The house which was given for the dwelling of the Erzurum Army Corps Commanders between 1920 and 1934, was inherited by his sister Makbule Boysan after the death of Atatürk. According to the information that obtained from the land registry records, it was inherited to the Turkish Child Protection Agency on October 12, 1944 upon Makbule Boysan’s will after her death. The house which was used by the Turkish Child Protection Agency until 1980, was transferred to The Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism by the Ministry of Health on the 8th of May 1984.

The house which consists of ground floor, first floor and cellar, was repaired and opened to visitors as Ataturk’s House Museum on October 3, 1984 in collaboration with local Museum Directorate.

In the room to the right of entrance hall; documents, photographs, clothes, and items which belong to Kazım Karabekir, Rauf Dinc, and Kazım Yurdalan are exhibited.

Also, there is a room which shelter the Turkish newspaper Envari Starkie published in Anatolia, Albayrak, the unforgettable newspaper of the national struggle period, and the printing press in which keeps Erzurum Congress papers that were printed.

In the Entrance part of the first floor, photographs of Erzurum Congress members and their biographies are exhibited in the entrance part of the first floor. From here, one can pass to the study room, reception hall, and bedroom of museum.

On the date of October 3th, 1984, there are some significant events that happens in theAtaturk’s House museum;

1- Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and his friends worked in that house for 52 days and laid the foundations of the National Struggle between 9 July and 29 August periods.

2- Ataturk resigned from the military service that he loved very much. Then, he started his civil life in that house.

3- The birth registration of Ataturk was changed from Thessaloniki to Erzurum.

4- He was nominated as a candidate from Erzurum in the Chamber of Deputies (Turkish: Meclis-i Mebusan) and was elected as a Deputy (Member of Parliament) for the first time.

5- He became the Erzurum Delegate and Congress Chairman of parliament.

6- He became the president of Committee of Representation (Turkish: Heyet-i Temsiliye)

7- In the notebook that Mustafa Kemal Pasha had attached to M. Mufit Kansu during the Erzurum Congress, He wrote that ‘’After victory, our form of government will be the Republic.’’ In this way we can say that he talked about other reforms he would do.

Restroom

Summer
08:00-21:00 Saturday 08:00-21:00 Sunday 08:00-21:00
Box Office Closed 20:45
Winter
08:00-17:00 Saturday 08:00-17:00 Sunday 08:00-17:00
Box Office Closed 16:45

Erzurum Atatürk House Museum Yukarı Mumcu Mahallesi Çaykara Caddesi.
erzurummuzesi@ktb.gov.tr
+90 (442) 234-2032
Quick Call Get Direction

There is no event in this Museum

All Events
Museum Plan Museum Brochure Rate Museum
Menu
Türkçe
Login