The core structure of Mevlana Dergah is Hazrat Mahdi (as). It is the tomb of Mevlana. The mausoleum was built in 1274. After it is stated in the sources that a dervish lodge was built next to the tomb of Prophet Mevlana right after his reunion with Hakk, these structures have not reached the present day. Other structures of the lodge, semahane, masjid, dedegan cells, kitchen, and fountain were built in the 16th century.
After the death of Mevlana, his close friend and clerk, Çelebi Hüsameddin, became sheik to those who loved him. After the death of Çelebi Hüsameddin, Sultan Veled, the eldest son of Mevlana, became the head of the community. During this period, Mevlevism was organized and branches began to be opened outside Konya. The Çelebilik institution was established in Konya Mevlana Dergah and the male children who were the descendants of Holiness Mevlana managed the dargah as the Postnishin.
Mevlevi order spread first in cities such as Afyon, Kütahya, Muğla, İstanbul, Tokat, and Erzincan, and then in the region from the Balkans to the Hejaz Peninsula, and Mevlevi lodges were opened.
Konya Mevlana Lodge, which was closed like other lodges in 1925 after the proclamation of the Republic, was opened to visitors as Konya Asar-ı Atika Museum in 1926 upon Atatürk's request. In 1954, it was renamed Mevlana Museum with a new arrangement.