Lagina Hecate Sanctuary is connected to the ancient city of Stratonikeia by a sacred road; it is an important cult center dedicated to the goddess Hecate, who is associated with the moon and night. In this place, there are propylon (monumental entrance structure), sacred road, altar (place of sacrifice and altar), Peribolos (wall surrounding the sanctuary), Doric stoas, and Hecate temple. The first excavations here were carried out in 1891-1892 by Osman Hamdi Bey, who was also one of the first museum curators of our country.
Lagina was connected to the ancient city of Stratonikeia by a sacra via, approximately 8.5 km long and 3-3.5 meter wide. Regular festivities were held every year in Lagina, and grand festivities were held every four years on behalf of Hecate. How these festivities would take place and what to do were arranged according to certain rules. During the annual festivities, there were "Key Carrying" ceremonies that were held regularly and lasted for a few days. Thus, the ceremonies continued annually in a certain order. In the key-carrying ceremony, a choir of young girls was singing hymns, leaving Lagina, reaching Stratonikeia, declaring their devotion to the city, and coming back to the sanctuary. After this choir entered the sanctuary, religious ceremonies in the place began. The gates of the temple were opened by the attendant girl carrying the key. People who came to the sanctuary sat on the steps arranged along the western edge of the sanctuary and watched the ceremony.