The museum building whose foundations were laid in 1935 was used for military purposes from 1937 to 1949. It was used as civil servant lodgings from 1949 to 1990s. Later on, from the 1990s until 2015, the museum was used as an accommodation center for 65 poor families where they left a cultural legacy with their children who were born here and played in its 1800 m² courtyard. It has been a venue where the young people experienced their first love, the marriage ceremonies took place and the joy was shared. In short, it is a building where this adventure has been transformed and immortalized into a museum.
Its restoration was completed in 2019, and it was built on an area of approximately 5,500 m², with a closed area of 5,800 m². The north facade was built as 3 storeys, and the east, west, and south facades were built as 2 storeys. Built in German architectural style, the 1.800 m² courtyard of the building was designed for concerts, theaters, speeches, and other events. In addition, 20 stone works are exhibited in the courtyard.
Within the square-shaped building, there are exhibition halls, a conference hall, a library, a meeting hall and storages. The showrooms consist of 5 sections. In the archaeological artifacts exhibition, 340 items unearthed in this region belonging to the Turkish-Islamic period from the paleolithic period are exhibited. A total of 158 coins from the Greek period to the Ottoman period are displayed in the coin works exhibition hall. In the ethnographic works exhibition hall, there are 195 ethnographic works belonging to the traditional life of the Tunceli region. In the faith section, there are information boards about Alawism and exhibitions representing Alawite rituals. Various works reflecting that period, from title deeds to mukhtar seals are exhibited in the exhibition hall of the Republic period.